Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thankful for Family - Shabby Tea Room Challenge

The challenge this week at The Shabby Tea Room was to create a project or a card using no squares or rectangles. This Thanksgiving Holiday I was able to find some time to try my hand at something new. 
I made my first wreath! My Mother-in-Law's birthday was this week and she is down visiting us today so while I was out shopping I found this beauty on sale for half off at Hobby Lobby.  I had seen a picture of a similar wreath done by another consultant at the CTMH Convention this year. I am not sure her name, but she did the poster titled Boutique Chic on the art wall. If anyone knows her, I would love her name to give her proper credit. 
Now I forgot to take pictures of the before supplies, but this wreath was just a plain grape vine wreath at first.
Supplies:
1 plain grape vine wreath (Hobby Lobby)
1 sprig of artificial flowers (Hobby Lobby)
4 sheets of CTMH colored cardstock ( I used crystal blue, colonial white, sweet leaf, and blush)
2 strings of CTMH Natural Hemp
1 Sheet of CTMH plain chipboard
Glue Dots Adhesive
Tacky Tape
Liquid Glass Adhesive
Maybe even a hot glue gun or super glue
Paper cutter/scorer
scissors
I also used my Cricut Expression to make the letters with Opposites Attract Cartridge
and Sure Cuts A Lot to make the pennants

To make your own just follow these directions:
Cut branches off your sprig of flowers and weave them into your wreath using the grape vine twigs to hold them in place. Cut 2 stings of hemp and cut your pennant shapes. Mine are cut at 4.5" long. Score top part of the triangle (thickest end) about an inch down and fold over to the back.  This will allow the pennant to sit on the banner. Use your scissors to cut off the excess that is showing and use the glue dots to adhere the pennant to the hemp and repeat until all your pennants are hung. Attach your banner to the wreath how you wish. Then cut your title, I used chipboard for mine and this is the hardest part, attaching your title. Try the adhesive that works for you, I am probably going to get a hot glue gun to better secure my letters. I used tacky tape and liquid glass, but the liquid glass does not dry fast enough and the tape seems a little loose. So I recommend hot glue or super glue for quick, strong bonds. This took me about an hour to complete, but that was with constant breaks to take care of my two babies and even held one while working at one point.
I would love to hear from you...what do you think? It was my first try after all.

7 comments:

  1. What a fun project ... love the big letters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a {sweet} wreath ... I love the banner you created!! Thanks so much for joining us in the Tea Room this week with your shaped project :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great wreath! So clever! Thanks for playing along with us at TSTR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful wreath! thanks for joining us this week at The Shabby Tea Room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your wreath! Very pretty. I found you from Paper Craft Planet and then noticed you live in Nashville. I'm currently in the FT Campbell area and have been looking for someone to get a CTMH catalog from. Just email me if you can help me out. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...